The Head of Business Development role is a Senior Management Team (SMT) position. The key role accountability is to contribute to the ongoing insightful and focussed development of the company strategy and then to specifically execute it. The strategy is created and developed in alignment with our vision, aspirations, USP’s and values.
It is our intention that this role will lead all Business Development activities within the company using the expertise of existing staff and through developing a network of competent associate resources on specific assignments as required. The role is technically supported by the SMT and wider colleagues expertise to increase the number of core and related opportunities with targeted existing and new clients.
You will play a key role in the Senior Management Team (SMT), working alongside other senior leaders within the business and will be rewarded for exceptional performance delivery through an SMT bonus scheme. You will also be required to work independently a lot of the time, whilst at self-initiated client meetings, presentations and exhibitions and will take responsibility for creating, maintaining and extending key client relationships. As part of your day to day role you will work closely with the Financial, Operational and Commercial teams.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
As Head of Business Development, you will undertake part or parts of the following tasks (this list is not exhaustive):
- Work effectively as a team worker within the Senior Management Team
- Forecast projections, commit to delivery and target tracking
- Define and research target sectors
- Lead new initiatives and relevant innovations and Task Forces where necessary
- Lead client engagement at multiple levels, maintain key client relationships, grow this network and be disciplined in updating CRM
- Set team and individual targets based on forecast projections
- Be accountable for the conversion of all large quotations and tenders
- Research new technology and opportunities
- Research tender opportunities within our market
- Active participation in weekly commercial update meeting
- Research organisations to find targeted new customers and identify decision makers
- Assist in developing and maintaining a tender/estimating process that is selective in its conversion of desirable and relevant enquiries
- Research and develop a sustainable way of carrying out client feedback integration into continuous improvement
- Develop and maintain a good technical knowledge of the whole company offering
- Work with the Marketing team to maximise focussed working
- Be selective in targeting industry exhibitions for networking, researching and exhibiting our services
- Talking, meeting and presenting directly with clients to discuss our services
- Negotiating with customers and building positive relationships
- Writing monthly KPI reports and making presentations to the Board
- Identifying new methods and opportunities for the business
- Staff management/line management duties
You may also be required to undertake duties within other areas of the company as and when required.
Health and Safety:
As safety is our number one priority, you are expected to highlight any specific areas under Health and Safety where there may be unexpected difficulties such as working conditions or equipment failures etc. to your Line Manager at the earliest opportunity. It is your responsibility to make sure you carry out your work in a safe manner. In no instance should any employee put themselves or their colleagues at risk. If you feel unsure as to any potential health and safety risk, then do not proceed until you have spoken to your line manager.
Essential Skills and Knowledge Required:
- In depth technical knowledge / experience in Utility Surveying or Land Surveying
- Vitality, personality and ability to create positive and purposeful relationships
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise work accordingly
- Ability to create mutually beneficial relationships with people at all business levels and influence through credibility
- Excellent problem-solving and creative skills
- Leadership combined with Teamworking skills
- Focused attention to detail
- Time management and organisational skills
- Ability to adapt instantly, flexibly and positively to desirable opportunities
- Excellent presentation, communication, technical and IT skills
Culturally you are expected to set a personal example as a role model and team member, live the company values and always follow company policies.
Both our vision and mission are underpinned with a clear set of values which are at the heart of everything we do, how we work, and the decisions we make to allow us to achieve our goals.
Owing to the nature of this role, there is likely to be extensive travel dependent on business needs. Applicants would ideally need to be comfortable with overnight stays away from home as required.
Whilst being close to our Head Office in Brentwood could be advantageous, we are looking to develop the business UK-wide, so applicants are encouraged to apply from other locations in the UK.
- Business development experience is essential
- Knowledgeable of Geospatial capabilities and potentialities
- Some experience in Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- Membership to CICES, ICE or equivalent
- Industry relevant degree or equivalent preferred
- Driving licence
Salary will be £60k plus dependent on experience, and will come with a generous car allowance, comprehensive benefits package and SMT bonus scheme.
Catsurveys’ Vision is: “To delight every customer by combining our passion with technology to deliver quick turnaround, world class utility surveys”